Saturday, March 21, 2009

Two More Early Quilts

The second and third quilts I finished are below. They were both completed in December 2005.

This rail fence quilt was made for my cousin and his wife when they were expecting their daughter, who's now three years old. It's made of 6" blocks, machine pieced and hand quilted.



Here's a close-up of the quilting on that one - I used a variegated thread and loved how it turned out. You can also see the fun fabrics more clearly here.



The next one I finished was the first one I made for myself. Actually, come to think of it, it's the ONLY one I've finished for myself so far! :) Quilts for me keep getting bumped back by quilts for other people. But that's okay.

Anyway, this one is a log cabin, and I called it a "learning quilt." For one thing, I forgot about strip piecing and cut every. single. piece before I remembered that I could've sewn long strips to simplify the cutting. For another, my seams are vastly different in size, so that the first blocks I made are significantly smaller than the last ones. Finally, before I quilted this one I took a one-night class on machine quilting, and this was the first quilt I did by machine. It's not perfect, but it's held together so far and works great as a lap quilt. The blocks are 8" squares, and the sashing is...I think 2" wide, but I don't recall for sure and am too lazy to measure before I post.





More to come! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment